Classic Rockers Network

Classic Rock Fan Community: Led Zep, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Doors & More

Now I know that they were a grunge rock band or whatever, but they brought real rock and roll back after the '80's almost killed it. Kurt Cobain was one of those rare super talents that saved music as far as i'm concerned.

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Music is 100% subjective, and I like alot of the bands you mentioned, and have seen many of them live. Granted, there are a few on your list, that suck (Cinderella, White Lion). But I like most of the rest, Dokken is my fave 80's band. I am a child of the 80's and think it's the greatest decade ever, esp in terms of music. So depending on your perspective, there may or may not be anything wrong with 80's rock.(All in all, I happen to love it!!) [and I can't believe you include Kiss, here!]

But I gotta tell ya, Amstell, I like how opinionated you are, and are not afraid to express that opinion!

80s rock is great. I have to agree with Amstell that Europe, White Lion, Autograph and Winger suck...hardcore. But, Guns N' Roses were the best band to come out of the decade, partly because they weren't a "hair band" per se. They were a much needed change from the direction 80s rock was going...the fact that they have the highest selling debut album of all time (in the US) indicates that. But Motley Crue, Great White and Tesla were good bands. Depending on an individuals definition of classic rock, Def Leppard can fit into that genre since their first professional recording was released in 1978, and their first full album in 1980.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this post to turn into a lesson about 80s rock..truly.

Totally agree about KISS too....they also suck, but they're not an 80s band, they're a 70s band.

Um no.....no one said the 80s was the best. We said we thought it was good/great. I agree that the 60s and 70s were better. I've noticed in general that people are partial to music they grew up with....I'm a child of the 80s, so I like it. Could you be a child of the 90s? 80s music was primarily good time music-no one had any pretensions, or tried to be profound or deep.

Zeppy is right, music is 100% subjective. That said Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against The Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers suck.....especially the Peppers. None bring back the feel of the 70s to me-a lot of the heart found in music from the 70s/60s is missing from it....today's music as well. It's all cold, over-processed and impersonal.

SRV is in a class of his own so we won't even go there

Metallica is one of my favorite bands...I was under the impression we were having a debate about the so-called "hair bands" my bad......the GNR comment was geared towards that, but yes I do think they were one of the best out of the decade.

U2....let's see. The last U2 song I liked was Where the Streets Have No Name....my fave of theirs is still Sunday Bloody Sunday. And after seeing It Might Get Loud I'm even less impressed with the Edge. 

I agree! Please read above!
but on a serious note, i dont consider nirvana classic rock. Today you have the new punk scene going on (nothing like the ramones and the clash i know)You had the grunge/alternative scene of the 90's and the hair bands of the 80's which, although rock and roll in their own rights, i still dont consider classic rock. In my opinion, the rock and roll music from van halens 1984 and before is classic rock. Rock and Roll will be around forever but i think classic rock is defined by both era but more imprtantly sound. I think from the british invasion and onto the late 70's and very early 80's is where you will find your "classic rock." Im a big 80's rock fan as well as a fan of nirvana, pearl jam, black crowes, buckcherry, etc.... you name it. But music is constantly evolving and i think classic rock is cemented in time. Although you may tune into the oldies and find songs from the 70's are becoming more and more frequent as time marches on; I just dont see us in 20-30 years lumping in rock bands of the late 80's, 90's and early 2000's into the classic music genre. Just one mans opinion.

"You've come far, and though you're far from the end
You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"
CHUCK BEERY = IKE TURNER - rock's roots are black
Although I do love Nirvana and I think they are all talented.....Dave Grohl too ~ but I have a question. Do you think Nirvana would be as big and as legendary today had Kurt not killed himself? Personally I don't think so. Yes they would be remembered as a great Grunge band (and deservingly so) but they would be lumped in with the rest. When grunge was really big I was more into Pearl Jam,Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. Don't get me wrong though....I do really like Nirvana but I think Kurt's death has a lot to do with their 'legendary' status.
I agree, and its sad really, I dont think when he killed himself he had that in mind.
I don't think so either....he was too involved in his depression and addiction to think that far ahead.
It's the same as when an artist dies, their work becomes alot more valuable.
I do agree that his death helps with their 'legendary' status.
The jury's still out for me on the Foo Fighters. But I do agree we need more people out there fighting foo :).
But would it be the same if Chris Cornell, Weiland or Eddie Vedder died?
Maybe Cornell and Vedder, but I doubt Weiland, to answer my own question.
Oh definately if any of them (Weiland,Vedder,Cornell) they all would be in the legendary status(IMO,they are all living legends)....but there are some great musicians and artists who have also passed away that are overlooked like Shannon Hoon from Blind Melon and Layne Staley from Alice in Chains

RSS

© 2024   Created by Rich Page.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

News: Check out our full concert videos Led Zep, The Who, Hendrix and more!