Classic Rockers Network

Classic Rock Fan Community: Led Zep, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Doors & More

Now I know that they were a grunge rock band or whatever, but they brought real rock and roll back after the '80's almost killed it. Kurt Cobain was one of those rare super talents that saved music as far as i'm concerned.

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

now dont hate me for saying this, but isnt cobain a little over rated just a tad?? i mean would everyone love him so much if he were alive... probably not... just like most people didnt like elvis untill he died...
Well don't hate me for saying this, but you're way off on this. Nirvana were hugely popular when they were still around, and Elvis was one of the most popular artists in the world when he was alive, and while we have a tendency to legendize (it's a word!) artists once they die, on this you're way wrong. People would still love both Elvis and Kurt if they were still alive. Nirvana changed music! But thanks for playin :)
Nirvana was a great band, and I agree that glam rock hurt music, but I don't consider them classic, their Seattle wave. Man some really good sounds came out of Seattle in the early 90s. When someone dies at the top it adds to their legend. Can't help but wonder what could have been.
No I think that anyone that made such a lasting impact and permanent imprint on music belongs and Kurt Cobain sure had so much to do with the grunge movement just like Jimi and the psych he sure inspired and anyone that could inspire and have followers this long sure belongs and to Paul the Ramones sure did alot as well as I stated classic rock is always growing and morphing like rock and roll itself thats why it will never die this current rap thing will eventually lose ground and rock will be back music goes through stages who would have known in the mid 70s that jazz would make such a strong comeback with the fusion as well as the blues that were considered dead and rock is what breathed life into them
Kurt may not be "Classic" but he IS a "Legend"!!! And his music will be listened to for decades to come.....
Made more legendary by his death, as per usual
NO you not... NIRVANA was my first connection with rock and roll music. i think they deserved it.
At the time Cobain seemed like the savior of music, but as we all know, hindsight is 20/20, Nirvana was apart of the Seattle wave which was what I think we needed at the time, with bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc...and the music industry has sucked for a long time now, so I tend to agree with you here Phantasm777

Nope, they're not

I mean, how can anyone compare  Kurt Cobain with Jim Morrison? You're going to compare Smells Like Teen Spirit with Riders on the Storm? Or Lithium with The End? Or Heart Shaped Box with Crystal Ship? Really, are you serious???

And as for comparisons to John Lennon....John left his family, and that sucks. But he wasn't so selfish as to kill himself and leave a tiny baby behind.

No way! 

Perhaps nirvana is 'rock' music that has indeed become 'classic,' but i dont think people mean just that when they say classic rock--so no way is nirvana classic rock! To me it's definitely a sound. Nirvana is too far away from blues to me, i think, to be classic rock, and its not the right era to be grandfathered in. 

What about 'real' rock n roll, in your(anybody's) opinion, did they bring 'back'? Its not a rhetorical question. They put out some good stuff, but i dont think they brought anything 'back.' What was it that reminded people of 'the good old days' or what have you?

I agree with Rich's comment from July 9 2008. I was a teenager when Grunge became popular, Nirvana were one of my favorite bands and I still remember perfectly all the buzz about them during the Nevermind era, they were very good and Cobain got back the classic rock star image/charisma that, in my opinion, had been lost during the 80's, I would wait another 8 or 10 years to put them under the Classic Rock definition, and I really am not quite sure if Nirvana would fit into the genre, if there is such thing, I would today, categorize them as "Classic Alternative Rock" I think would fit better.

If anyone's interested here's the link to a site I made some years ago with scans of Nirvana stuff I collected mainly from my teenage years (1991-1995) has a lot of stuff from the Nevermind era.

www.nirvana.pt.vu

Cheers,

David

RSS

Featured CRN Content!

The True Definition of Classic Rock!

Come debate the true definition of classic rock!

List of Great Classic Rock Cover Bands To See
Relive your classic rock favorite bands with these great cover bands.

© 2024   Created by Rich Page.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

News: Check out our full concert videos Led Zep, The Who, Hendrix and more!