Classic Rockers Network

Classic Rock Fan Community: Led Zep, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Doors & More

Now i dont like to compare 2 awesome guitarist because i know people will be pissed at me for doing it but this has been bugging me for a long time who is better Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page?
They both reinvented how to play guitar.
Feedback and Violin bow.
they both inspired nearly every band to date.
they are the most copied artist of our century
but who is better?
Personally i think Page is but thats just my onpion.

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hate to compare artists like that. They were both good. Period. They just played different stylistically albeit an expanded pentatonic kind of way. Its like going to go see a battle of the bands and two bands play the same song. Everything else being equal, they probably just a tad bit or alot different than the other but both were equally good. The only way it really works to compare talent is in the movies. You know, the scene at the end of Crossroads, the guitar duel? The little kid ended up being better. Sort of like the David and Goliath story. That scene was actually an allegory describing good vs. evil. I'm sorry...too much deep thought... Page and Hendrix were just both good. Whose style do you like better?
i agree.
But.
Honestly.
I think i choose page because he has influenced me more.
In the end it doesnt matter whos better.

take neal peart for example.
All the talent in the world most talented drummer ever.
I have no doubt in my mind though that on a id say 4;1 ratio people would rather listen too John Bonham.
Eh.
Both gods of guitar.
Along with SRV.
They were both pioneers in their own ways. I would have to say Jimi was vital in shaping whole genres, whereas Jimmy was influential in bringing a ton of genres into one genre. That's about the best way I know to put it.
I have a soft spot for Pagey, but Hendrix is alright too.

For a really interesting comparison check Zeppelin boots on the first US tour 68 -69. The Expereince are clearly a huge influence on the live arrangements (e.g. everyone flowwing the riff rather than sepaate but related parts). Jimi was a unique voice (Page has many - more than violin bow in his reinventions) who was an incredible writer as is Page (who was more organised and did not have certain metalhead mangement types distracting him.(For that matter check out the New York Zep boots from Sept 70 when the news that Jimi had died in London. Prescient...

It may be relvant to compare Little Games Jimmy with Axis Jimi. One is adding guitar developments to new and old song types the other is adding songs around considerable instrumental technique.

I think really Hendrix was one of the few in rock that was (yes, that over used term -) genius. That is -  a genius is compelled to do only what he / she does best, which is one reason IMHO there was a big delay after Electric Ladyland and something new. Wheras a considerbale talent (it is not a hirearchal thing) can turn his talent to many things as Page had to as a session man.

The result is the legacy. There is no one quite like original talents left to their own devices. Maybe they show the difference between those with their own voice rather than the 80s hot shots who had nothing to say but considerable G.I.T. developed ways of saying it...

Amazing coincidence time. Today a new Zeppelin sounboard rehearsal from 2007 (2 CDs complete) and another set of rather good Hendrix studio tracks to check out. Plus ca change the song remains the same... After Queensryche's  Empire which is a great album too.... cheers all.

Page's creativity off the guitar was also pretty strong.... just sayin...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Rich Page.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

News: Check out our full concert videos Led Zep, The Who, Hendrix and more!