Classic Rockers Network

Classic Rock Fan Community: Led Zep, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Doors & More

Just heard some rather shocking news. John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page want to start touring again as Led Zeppelin. Trouble is, looks like Robert Plant doesn't care as much. So, there are rumors beginning to appear that Steven Tyler might step in as a replacement for Robert Plant! Can you belive this? This would be a travesty (as much as I love Aerosmith - its simply not going to work or be that good. And would ruin the Led Zep name.

Here are the full details (from a great classic rock blog):
http://www.realrocknews.com/aerozeppelin/

What do you all think of this potential travesty of ruining Led Zep's great name?

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Without Robert Plant how can it possibly be led zeppelin? I'm enclosing a brief memoir about my parakeet and Robert Plant. Hope you enjoy and I think it says it all.

"Tweety A Connoisseur of Rock-And-Roll” By Cherokee Billie

I will never forget the first time my little sky blue Parakeet, Tweety, heard the song, "Stairway To Heaven." The year was 1974 when Led Zeppelin first released; "Stairway To Heaven", I was a young married, 23 years old, and usually had the stereo on loud every morning in our rented house after my husband went to work.

Tweety’s cage was right next to one of the stereo speakers in the living room, as Tweety enjoyed music so much. I had Tweety since 1967 so she knew rock-and-roll really well living with me. Tweety would lose control bopping up and down while chirping loudly whenever I put on music by Jimi Hendrix. Tweety would chirp softly to the Beatles. Tweety was a true connoisseur of music.

Tweety’s cage stood about 3 feet from the base with a large wood branch extending from the bottom to the top of the cage. There was several little branches shooting out from the main branch and Tweety would perch on the different branches depending on what she wanted to see or hear at that moment. Her favorite jutting branch was toward the top of her cage where Tweety would stand poised like a ballerina about to engage in her own choreograph, which she often did bobbing and weaving to the music.

This particular morning Tweety was on her favorite branch enjoying the music from the radio. The song "Stairway To Heaven" came on the radio for the first time. The song starts very softly with Robert Plant singing in a very beautiful tone. I noticed Tweety was stretched as far as her little body could stretch to get her ear, as close to the speaker as possible. I watched mesmerized at how still and quiet Tweety was during the first part of the song. Normally she would be chirping along with the music. But not today - not during this song.

Suddenly Robert Plant burst out with the verse, "As we wind on down the road," accompanied by a barrage of heavy metal music; going from the soft melodious sound to harsh rock-and-roll. The contrast was startling to poor little Tweety. She fell instantaneously onto the floor of her cage. She looked stunned for a moment but started climbing back up the wood branch by her beak and feet to her favorite perch to finish listening to the song. Tweety listened in complete silence until the song concluded. If Tweety could have been a music critic she would have said, "That was the best song I have ever heard."

After this episode whenever Tweety heard Robert Plant singing she would fall silent and study every tone of his voice. Tweety never did this with any other musician or song only with Robert Plant.

To this day when I hear, "Stairway To Heaven" I always picture the rapt attention of Tweety’s little face. And I smile.
But it's NOT EVER gonna be the same without Bonzo, so, with or without Robert, I say the show must go on, and what an honor for an elder statesman such as Steven Tyler to tribute this band.
OK , I won't knock Tyler , but he is not the man for Zeppelin , OK?! It must have Plant !! That may or may not happen , so we will just have to wait and see.
Zeppelin always exercised a masterful " got them by the b...s " manipulation of the press. Perhaps Robert is just holding out to make a big announcement , until the fans just can't stand the suspense any more . ( he might want to hurry up , though !)
The great band was always a little reckless and risky, it would not surprise me if this is just another tactic of theirs !
They did not become the greatest band of the 70's for no reason ! They were just as smart at music business , as they were talented !
i agree love aerosmith as well... but there is no way in hell that he could replace plant...
Uh, no one can replace Robert Plant. I hope he reconsiders, because then Led Zep will show all these modern "bands" what real Rock is about.
I mentioned this in my other post... Plant chose to furthur his solo career, last year, by doing an album with Alison Krauss... Some of you may have noticed they just received something like 3 grammy's for that recording.

I'm sure if Zeppelin wants to tour again, they can do it when all the members are indeed ready to do so. In fact, I'm confident that it will happen... and I'm also confident that I will not be able to afford a ticket! Ha.
Also, a tour without Plant would be a flop. Sure, people would attend, but it would be no Zeppelin tour, for sure.
Iknow that iam new to this group but one would thinkthat a star like tyler would decline to do this if a tour is announced. for example look what happened to queen when they tried to start over again with the original front manfrom bad company. the music is the same but the vocals dont sound right for the only bandthat got thru the transition of losing a frontman and replacing and making a newsound work is ACDC
I like Tyler but I don't think this is right!!! It just won't be as good. Damn,....I wonder what the holdup is with Plant???? Why is he holding back????? It just doesn't make any sense the O2 show was fabulous from what I could see.
Don't get me wrong I love Steven Tyler's voice, but I agree with Rich on this one, it just won't be the same. I would go for the sole fact that I would get to see Jimmy Page play live, something I have always dreamed about. I just could not imagine Led Zep w/o Plant. Kinda bummed to hear that he is not into playing one last tour. Bummer man.
Tiff you would LOVE watching Jimmy play live I was lucky to see him not once but TWICE. First on his solo tour Outrider with Jason Bonham and second with Robert Plant on the No Quarter tour. The guy definitely has a Presence(No pun intended:-)) that has to be seen to be believed. He seemed to be conjuring sounds from some other plane. And man, the first tour he was sweating so much it was pouring off of him like a garden hose I guess he was still kicking the heroin habit then, but anyway he could just play riff after mind blowing riff that I think everyone watching was in awe and shock. He did it all..... the theremin, the bow it was classic!!!! I walked away after both shows shaking my head and realizing I just saw a living legend in action. Wow, it was cool!!! I guess the only guy that probably could have ever topped him was probably Hendrix. And no I never saw him but he seems to be cut out of the same mold ...an original through and through!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Rich Page.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

News: Check out our full concert videos Led Zep, The Who, Hendrix and more!