Being a classic rock music lover like myself, I am always looking to find new music in the style of classic rock and to share it with other fans like the readers of the site. So I thought I would put together a quick discussion to reveal my favorites and to find out everyone elses too.
Here are some of my favorite newer classic rock inspired bands, and who they sound like:
- The Raconteurs (Jack White's band, with definite Led Zeppelin and The Who influence)
- The Black Crowes (still going strong, southern blues rock at its best)
- Wolfmother (another immitator of Led Zeppelin, with Doors influence too)
- Them Crooked Vultures (obvious Led Zeppelin influence due to John Paul Jones in the lineup)
- The Black Keys (very bluesy, Allman Brothers influenced at times)
And a special mention to newer bands:
- Black Country Communion (with John Bonham on the drums! - check them out here)
- Big Bang (great new Norwegian band with huge Led Zeppelin influence - check them out here)
- Rival Sons (awesome new South Cali based classic rock influenced band - check them out here)
- White Wizzard (shades of Rush, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden - check them out here)
So those are mine... what are your favorite newer classic rock inspired bands? Please comment below and let's get a great discussion started! I will add your favorites to this list too.
I am the lead guitar player in the indie rock band Fade To Black. We are based in Lansing, MI. We describe our music as "Modern Original Classic Rock". Our band is influenced by The Who, The Clash, Iggy Pop, and so many other great bands from the Classic Rock era.
We just played a show with a Rush and KISS tribute band. It was an awesome night because we were able to play to fans who love Classic Rock, so they really appreciated our original songs.
We released a new album in June 2010 called, "Black Is Back". It's available on iTunes and Amazon. We are in the process of mixing a live album coming out soon, and we are recording songs in the studio for a new album coming out in mid 2011.
If you have a chance, check out our web site at www.fadetoblacktheband.com
Thanks, Eldon McGraw.
I like bands like Wolfmother and The Black Crowes but they are transparently revival music rather than bands that have taken a sound and progressed with it. There is certainly nothing wrong with that and it beats the hell out of taking your music in an idiotic direction just because it's 'the new sound'. I rather like bands that have managed to keep alive the progression and not just the sound.